Decades of Experience on your side
Scottsdale Annulment Lawyers
Navigating Annulments in Arizona
At Singer Pistiner, PC, we recognize that family law matters can be intricate and emotionally charged. Our team is here to provide comprehensive assistance to individuals in Scottsdale seeking resolution in their divorce and family law cases. One aspect of family law that often comes up is annulments, a unique legal procedure that can void a marriage under the right circumstances as if it never happened.
Call Singer Pistiner, PC today at (480) 418-7011 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our annulment attorney in Scottsdale!
What is an Annulment?
An annulment is a legal process that declares a marriage null and void as if it never existed. Unlike divorce, which ends a valid marriage, an annulment erases the marriage from the legal record. Annulments are uncommon and can only be granted under specific circumstances.
Annulments typically fall into several categories, including:
- Void Marriages: Void marriages are never valid from the beginning. This includes marriages involving bigamy, incest, or one or both parties being underage. In such cases, the marriage is considered void ab initio, meaning it's invalid from the start.
- Voidable Marriages: Voidable marriages have a defect but are considered valid unless one of the parties challenges their validity. Reasons for a voidable marriage might include fraud, impotence, or a lack of consent.
- Putative Spouse: In some cases, one or both parties might have entered the marriage with a good faith belief that it was valid. If this belief was reasonable and the marriage was later declared void, a party may be considered a "putative spouse," which can impact issues like property distribution.
What are the Requirements for an Annulment?
To obtain an annulment in Arizona, specific legal requirements must be met. It's crucial to consult with a skilled attorney who can guide you through this process. The typical requirements include:
- Grounds for Annulment: You must have a valid reason for seeking an annulment. As mentioned, this could be a void or voidable marriage. Common grounds include fraud, bigamy, impotence, lack of consent, or underage marriage.
- Time Limitations: There are usually time limits for filing an annulment petition. It's crucial to act promptly if you believe you have grounds for annulment.
- Residency Requirements: In Arizona, you or your spouse must have been a state resident for at least 90 days before filing for an annulment.
- Proper Filing: Correctly filing the appropriate documents and petitions is essential to your annulment case. A knowledgeable attorney can ensure the paperwork is completed accurately and complies with Arizona's legal requirements.
How Long Does an Annulment Take?
The time it takes to complete the annulment process can vary depending on the complexity of your case and the court's docket. On average, annulments typically take several months. The timeline can be influenced by factors such as:
- Court Schedules: The court's availability to hear your case can affect the timeline. Some courts may have a backlog of cases, while others may have a more streamlined process.
- Contested vs. Uncontested Annulments: Uncontested annulments, where both parties agree to the annulment, tend to move more quickly. Contested annulments can take longer to resolve when one party disputes the annulment.
- Complexity of the Case: Cases involving intricate issues like property division or child custody may take longer to resolve.
- Negotiations: The negotiation process between parties and their attorneys can also impact the timeline. Quick resolution is often achieved when both parties cooperate and reach an agreement.
- Court Orders and Judgments: The court's schedule for issuing orders and judgments can affect the overall duration of the process.
Exploring the Benefits of Annulment
Choosing between annulment and divorce can be a difficult decision. While both options provide legal dissolution of a marriage, annulment offers unique advantages that may be worth considering. Here are some benefits of pursuing an annulment:
- Legal recognition that the marriage was invalid from the beginning, providing a fresh start.
- Avoidance of the stigma associated with divorce, as an annulment declares that the marriage never existed.
- Potential financial advantages, as annulment may allow you to retain separate property and avoid alimony or spousal support.
- Possible impact on child custody and support, as an annulment can establish that there are no legal obligations towards children.
- Preservation of religious or cultural beliefs that view divorce as undesirable.
Our experienced Scottsdale annulment attorneys can help you understand the specific benefits of annulment in your situation and guide you through the process. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and explore your options.
At Singer Pistiner, PC, our experienced Scottsdale uncontested divorce attorneys are dedicated to expediting the annulment process while ensuring your rights are protected throughout the proceedings. We'll work diligently to guide you through the process and help you achieve a resolution as efficiently as possible.
Contact Our Scottsdale Annulment Attorneys Today
Annulments can be a complex legal matter, but they provide a unique option for those seeking to end a marriage that was never valid. At Singer Pistiner, PC, we understand the nuances of Arizona's family law system and can help you navigate the annulment process efficiently.
If you are considering an annulment or need assistance with any family law matter, please contact our Scottsdale uncontested divorce attorneys. Our team is committed to providing you with the legal support and guidance to move forward and start a new chapter in your life.
Contact Singer Pistiner, PC, today to schedule a consultation with our annulment lawyer in Scottsdale!
When you have family problems that require the help of skilled Scottsdale divorce attorneys, call Singer Pistiner, PC.. We offer decades of experience to give you the compassionate representation you deserve throughout the duration of your legal proceedings. Below, you can read what some of our past clients have to say about our service. With our team on your side, you can count on dedicated representation committed to helping you obtain the best possible outcome for your situation. Call (480) 418-7011 now or contact us online to schedule your free consultation.
“Rob is the best!! Being served with an unreasonable petition is stressful! Rob explained the process, the law, and all possible outcomes.”- Maile W.
“Rob is great at what he does.”- Chris S.
“He was very confident, responsive, and very informative.”- Mike T.
“Jason was absolutely amazing.”- Justin A.
“Jason was there to mend my mistakes and professionally deal with an opposing party who was less than cooperative.”- S.C.
5 Star Client Rating
Convenient Payment Plans Available
Upfront Paperwork and Billing Processes
Over 40 Years of Combined Legal Experience
Our legal firm handles a variety of cases and has nearly four decades of combined experience to bring to the table. Our focus is our clients — everything we do is in your best interest.