What Happens if My Ex Won’t Pay Child Support?

Child Support

Child support is essential when it comes to caring for a child in the aftermath of a divorce. During your marriage, your children had the benefit of a two-person income and, regardless of the state of your marriage, family courts believe both parents must remain financially responsible for their care. As the custodial guardian, it is already assumed that you pay your share of child support, which is why the non-custodial parent is ordered to make these regular payments. If your ex stopped fulfilling this obligation, however, you should take the matter to court to ensure the order is enforced.

Enforcing Your Child Support Order

Family courts treat all child-related matters, including child support, quite seriously. If your ex stopped making these payments, there are a variety of ways in which the court may not only enforce the order, but also penalize your former spouse.

Below are some of the consequences a delinquent parent may face:

  • Wage garnishment
  • Withholding federal tax refunds
  • Seizure of property
  • Occupational license suspension
  • Business license suspension
  • Revoked driver’s license
  • Refusal to issue a passport

Moreover, in severe circumstances, if a parent continues to fail to make these payments, the court may impose a jail term, holding that parent in contempt of court. That said, this approach is not used as often as some of the other tools used to enforce a child support order since family courts understand that it is difficult for a parent to provide child support from inside a jail cell.

If your former spouse moved out of state to further evade these payments, the penalties may be even more severe. Under the Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act of 1998, it is a felony for a parent to stop paying child support to a parent that lives in another state.

Discuss Your Child Support Case with an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today!

If your ex stopped paying child support, do not hesitate to reach out to the family law team at Singer Pistiner, PC for the experienced legal representation you need. Since 2004, our attorneys have guided clients through some of the most delicate legal matters, earning a reputation for trustworthiness and excellence.

Reach out to our law office today at (480) 418-7011 to set up a free initial case review with one of our experienced family law attorneys to learn more about what you can do to enforce your child support order.

Related Posts
  • Who Makes Medical Decisions for a Child After Divorce? Read More
  • Can a Child Choose Which Parent Gets Custody in Arizona? Read More
  • Child Custody in Arizona- The Best Interests of the Child Read More